Bill Baritompa is an experienced square dance caller, having attended a number of caller schools overseas. He was mentored by Kelvin Love and was the second caller for the Cathedral square dance club of Christchurch, and now runs a small weekly mainstream and plus club – "Fun Squares". He also runs ABC square dances and contra dances, ways to get people doing fun dancing without classes.
- Started dancing 1993
- Started calling end of 1996.
- Member of NZCCA.
- Called at New Zealand South Island Federation dances 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 06, 07, 09
- Called at New Zealand Nationals: Wellington 2000, Christchurch 2001, Timaru 2003, Christchurch 2005, Palmerston North 2006, Mosgiel 2007, Christchurch 2009
- Called at 44th, 46th thru 48th Japanese National Square Dance Conventions 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- Called at 47th, 48th and 50th Australian National Square Dance Conventions 2006, 2007 and 2009
- Attended Debora Parnell’s calling school June 98 with CALLERLAB scholarship.
- Brian Hotchkies’ 5 Day Casino Callers School 2007 and 2009
- Attended various day clinic’s given by Jerry Story, Paul Bristow, Tony Oxendine, Steve Turner, Kelvin Love, Ed Foote, Barry Wonson, Jerry Jestin and Brian Hotchkies
Prior to becoming a square dance caller, Bill was in various bluegrass and New Zealand Bush Bands. He still runs the occasional barn dance based on New Zealand and Australian colonial dances.
He is a retired mathematician and is involved in a project called the “Dance of Mathematics” ( www.danceofmathematics.com ) combining his two passions. He also practices Tai Chi (yang style 88 form).